Tuesday, March 21, 2006

poetry from Lyn Lifshin

2 DAYS AFTER MOTHER’S DAY FIVE YEARS AGO

Maybe there could be
her soul floating over
the duck pond, laughing
at the geese as she does
still in the 8 millimeter
video, my sister’s hoarded,
kept as ransom for what
ever wasn’t in our lives.
Her smoke hair, licorice
and curly, astonished and
by ferreting out how much
this town house doesn’t.
She watches the dragon flies,
turquoise and sapphire,
but it’s the geese she floats
over waiting for me to come
back from ballet. Not having
a body is a relief she sighs
in my dream, no need to worry
about gaining or losing 50
lbs and if I wanted to smoke
she whispers I haven’t got
a mouth for that or for bad
mouthing any relative.
Better just be air, tho I can’t
hold my daughter who
never thought enough of
herself





Lyn Lifshin

No comments:

 
Ctrl-v