Thursday, January 26, 2006

In a section I call authors of note, the list is admittedly subjective. I can’t help it, I’m predisposed! So, I will say a few words on my choices, but authors not on the list may creep in there, too. .Now, are you ready? Am I ready?

Vladamir Nabokov is becoming one of my favorite authors. Well, actually, he has been for awhile. He’s very easy to read, something I can appreciate. However, I enjoy challenging works, too. While I’m having trouble with Joyce’s Finnegan’s Wake, probably one of the reasons I haven’t picked it up lately, the book I am reading by Samuel Beckett is a pleasure. I’d say it is written in an unconventional style, but that could be an understatement. Its paragraphs, sometimes short but more often extended, the re-statement of sentences and what I think may be stream of consciousness style, are all what I like about the book. Plot, situation, and characters, recognizable objects that seem to be largely missing, are also I things I like.

Also challenging is Umberto Eco. In Island of the Day Before, I believe the island is metaphorical. Actually, I’m not sure about the entire book, which is a reason I’m having such a good time with it. The stories of Sheridan La Fanu and Edgar Allan Poe are great stories for the introduction, and maintaining, of suspense and horror. I recommend both.

Well, I didn’t cover all or the listed authors, but it’s a start. Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

 
Ctrl-v